Monday, January 28, 2013

Shadow and Bone



Leigh Bardugo

About 20 pages into Shadow and Bone I had the “here we go again” feeling I get when I start a great book and realize that I’m not going to get any sleep until it’s done.

Hunger Games lovers take note: you’re going to want to read this one. Shadow and Bone is one of the most satisfying reads I’ve had in a long time. The story follows the life of orphan, Alina Starkov, as she makes the abrupt transition from army cartographer to the Darkling’s favourite pupil after she unleashes an energy suppressed deep within her that she didn’t even know she possessed.

I was so enchanted by this book—by the Grisha in their coloured Kafta, by the scrawny antihero Alina Starkov, and by the power of the Darkling. This book will have you laughing, silently cheering, and holding your breath.

Shadow and Bone is both easy to read and cleverly written, with a couple of twists that may surprise you. Thank goodness it’s a trilogy, because you’re going to want more of Alina Starkov!


- Sasha Odesse

No comments:

Post a Comment