Sunday, September 21, 2014

REVIEW: A GIRL IS A HALF-FORMED THING


Wow. A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing is such a beautiful book. I truly can’t believe that this is McBride’s first novel. It is written with the talent and expertise of a practiced novelist. I was skeptical of this book at first; it has very serious subject matter, and is written in a very unique way that I have not personally experienced before.

The main character experiences many traumas in her childhood, mostly through her family. Her brother's poor health is one of the main issues. She is extremely close to her brother and his troubling health severely affects her throughout the book. Overall, this is a story of growing up and finding one's self. Every person struggles with difficulties in their life, and this book simply shows a young girl just trying to figure out where she stands in this constantly changing world.


McBride uses her flow of words, spelling and even the use of capitals to bring complex emotion into her writing. At first I was skeptical about the writing style but soon enough I was entranced by the poetic works. For example, when the main character is coping with particularly dark things in her life, the use of capitalization becomes erratic and words are repeated. It makes the reader feel the panic and distress of the character.
 

I recommend this book to anyone who reads poetry, to anyone who struggled in their childhood and teen years to find who they are, and I do want to acknowledge that the book can be dark at times, so I don’t recommend it for children and young teens. I cannot wait for McBride’s next novel to come out, because her writing is so emotionally driven. A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing is definitely one of my favourite books I have read so far this year.

Wesley Wilson is a zoology student at the University of Guelph and works on campus at a microbiology lab. When Wesley isn’t studying away, she spends most of her time reading. Anna Karenina is her favourite book, but she enjoys reading a variety of different genres.

No comments:

Post a Comment